- This event has passed.
Zoom Workshop: Painting a Master Study
January 21 @ 9:00 am - January 22 @ 12:30 pm$90
Let’s start the New Year off by studying from the masters!
Doing master studies is an age-old method for learning how to improve our paintings. By emulating the masters we can understand their choices and techniques and apply the lessons learned in our own work.
We’ll focus generally on composition, value and color, though each of you will be able to choose other aspects to concentrate on – such as figure or trees or architecture for example – through your choice of the artist and specific work to study. You’ll be able to build onto your database of techniques, shapes, colors, etc that other artists have used.
Here’s the idea:
– You’ll paint from a digital photo of a favorite artwork by a favorite artist of your choosing. Pick someone whose work you’d like to emulate., someone you’d like to paint more like.
Let’s limit our choices to representational artists whose work is shown in major museum collections and if possible to dead artists. That way we’ll know that enough time has passed for to insure we’re studying from true, time-tested masters. Any famous artist from the Renaissance forward is eligible.
– The workshop will take place on two consecutive days, 3 1/2 hours each day for a total of 7 hours.
– The first day will be spent developing thumbnail greyscale compositional studies and a small color study. I’ll demonstrate to start us off.
– The second day I’ll do some quick demonstrations throughout the session and you’ll all work on your paintings. As we progress I’ll be able to review everyone’s works, answer questions, make suggestions, etc.
– I’ll be painting either in oil or gouache. You can paint with whatever medium you prefer.
– We’ll be sketching and painting on small surfaces (approx. 3″x4″ or smaller for thumbnail sketches and approximately 8″x10″, 6×8″ or 5″x7″ for the paintings) so that we can mostly complete everything during the two-day workshop.
– You can join the Zoom workshop on your laptop, desktop or iPad. A Zoom link will be sent a few days prior to the workshop.
– A materials list will be sent to you soon after you register.
– The workshop will be limited to 9 students.
– The cost of the workshop is $90 for the two days. This amount is refundable in full up to 3 days prior to the workshop; after that the registration fee is non-refundable.
REGISTRATION is a two step process.
1) Send me an email and let me know you’re planning to register so I can put your name on the list. 2) Send me your payment on either PayPal (pay to email@example.com), Venmo (pay to @Bruce-Katz-9) or by check. I’ll send you my address if you need it. Once I receive your payment you’ll be registered and I will send you a materials list.