Everywhere flowers are in bloom. Let’s put a few on our tables and paint them from life in this workshop on Zoom.
Many of you have told me that you’d love to paint flowers but find it challenging. Let’s break down the process for painting them into bite sized steps to end up with satisfying paintings you’ll feel proud of. Hint: it’s all about shapes, values and color!
It’s spring. Let’s Paint Flowers
Thursday April 8th and Friday, April 9th, 2021
9:00 to 1:00 (Pacific Time) both days
On Zoom from the comfort of your own home!
In this workshop we’ll start with some value sketches in paint and move toward full color paintings.
Here’s the idea:
– You’ll need at least one flower and a glass or vase or jar of water to put it in. Pick the flowers from your garden, from the park or along your walk. One, two or three flowers in a glass can make a lovely composition.
– You’ll also need a light source that can create some light and shadows on your subject and perhaps some cast shadows too. Then, how about a pretty tablecloth to add some color to the scene?
– The workshop will take place on two consecutive days, 4 hours each day for a total of 8 hours.
– The first day will be spent developing a two-value and then a 4-value “grayscale” sketch of your subjects in paint, followed by a small full color value paint sketch. I’ll demonstrate to start us off at each stage.
– The second day we’ll start our full-color paintings and I’ll do a quick demonstration on the block in, followed by another demonstration on going from block in to finished painting. As we progress I’ll be able to review everyone’s work, answer questions, make suggestions, etc.
– I’ll be painting in gouache. You can paint with whatever medium you prefer.
– We’ll be doing very small value paint sketches (approx. 4″ – 6″) and our paintings on relatively small surfaces too (approx. 5×7″, 6×8″, 8×10″ or 9×12″) so that we can mostly complete everything during the two-day workshop.
– You can join the Zoom workshop on your laptop, desktop or iPad.
– A materials list will be sent to you as soon as you register.
– The cost of the workshop is $100.This amount will be fully refundable up to 3 days prior to the workshop; after that the registration fee is non-refundable.
** Please note that this month I won’t be adding a second workshop so if you’re interested let me know ASAP as the workshops often fill up quickly.
REGISTRATION is a two step process:
1) Send me an email and let me know you’re planning to register so I can put your name on the list.
2) Send me your payment on either PayPal (pay to email@example.com) or Venmo (pay to @Bruce-Katz-9) or by check. I’ll send you my address if you need it.